Tag: holdover petition

Deciding between a Holdover and Nonpayment Petition

On January 5, 2012, in Landlord-Tenant, by John A. Weber IV, ESQ.

Holdover vs. Nonpayment Evictions

Deciding between holdover and nonpayment evictions.

Recently, we have had several situations arise where clients had to determine whether they would bring a Holdover vs. Nonpayment eviction against the tenant.  Now it is true that in most situations, there is really no choice.  The facts of the specific case dictate that there is only one option available.  It is not correct however to assume that there are never situations where a choice exists.  The final decision needs to be the result of strategic planning between attorney and client.

The one constant that must be taken into account when determining which type of action you will ultimately bring is the desired outcome.  The attorney’s job is to take the specific facts of the case and develop the plan to achieve the desired outcome.  Together, the attorney client team decides on the type of action to bring.   Together, they have taken into consideration the ultimate goals of the landlord, the governing laws, the trends of the court rulings, and the facts of the case.

As always, if you are having trouble deciding which type of action to bring, call the Law Firm of Vaughn, Weber & Prakope, PLLC at (516) 858-2620!

I want to evict my tenant!

On January 3, 2011, in Landlord-Tenant, by Robbie L. Vaughn, Esq.

So, you want to evict your tenant.

Is there a lease? Has it expired? Month-to-month?  Rent stabilized/controlled? Legal/illegal apt? Section 8 tenant? Multiple family dwelling? Which County?…..all important questions.

Generally, you will be bringing a Non-payment or Holdover proceeding:

Lease exists, but tenant not paying
In a Non-payment action the Landlord needs to make a “rent demand” (usu. 3 day notice and can be made orally, but see what the lease says). Landlord can file the petition and notice of petition for non-payment if no rent paid by day #4. You will have to have the tenant(s) properly served with the petition and notice.  Usually, if tenant pays, tenant stays!

Expired lease or month-to-month tenancy
In a Holdover action you may have to have the tenant(s) properly served with a “30 day notice to quit.”  This can be tricky . You will file a holdover petition and notice of petition and have tenant properly served with same.

The above is far from complete.  We are  just trying to give you some insight. Hope it helps. Good luck!

Visit our Landlord-Tenant category to learn more about Landlord-Tenant issues.

As always, The Long Island Landlord-Tenant Law Firm of VAUGHN & WEBER, PLLC is here to assist you.  We are conveniently located in the heart of Nassau County, Long Island, at 217 Willis Avenue in Mineola, NY 11501.  Contact us at (516) 858-2620 to arrange a consultation with a  Landlord-Tenant attorney.

WhiteHouse by PageLines

Copyright © 2020 Law Firm of Vaughn, Weber and Prakope, PLLC
All Rights Reserved