Tag: family member

Familial Exception to Evictions

On December 8, 2011, in Landlord-Tenant, by John A. Weber IV, ESQ.

Familial Exception to Evictions

Familial Exception to Evictions

Although unfortunate, there are many situations where a person may wish to evict a family member from their property.  It seems that a very common misconception exists.  It seems that most people think that if the family member is over the age of 21, they can be evicted by simple summary proceedings.  This is not the case at all.  These special cases fall under what is known in New York as the Familial Exceptions to Evictions by Summary Proceedings.  This familial exception to evictions applies to designated types of relationships which have developed over time through case law.  If the type of relative that you are attempting to evict falls within these exceptions, the eviction process changes entirely.  It is important to be aware of the familial exception to evictions before an action is commenced to avoid unnecessary delays and costs.  As always, the best way to avoid these pitfalls is to consult with an attorney before proceeding.

Landlord Tenant Attorneys in Mineola

Please feel free to call the Law Firm of Vaughn, Weber & Prakope, PLLC at (516) 858-2620 to speak with a Landlord Tenant Attorney.

What’s your MDR number?

On February 27, 2011, in Landlord-Tenant, by Robbie L. Vaughn, Esq.

Multiple Dwelling Registration

If a landlord in Queens, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Staten Island, or the Bronx wants to bring an action in Landlord-tenant court or request a code violation dismissal, it is important that he/she make sure their building has a multiple dwelling registration number and is properly registered with HPD’s Registration Assistance Unit. In order for a landlord to initiate a court action or to request a code violation dismissal, they must prove that the building ‘s registration is current. A building with three or more dwelling units must be registered with HPD’s Registration Assistance Unit. Additionally, owners of  1 and  2 family dwellings, where neither the owner nor any family member occupies the dwelling, are also required to register with HPD. The building’s registration must be renewed annually.

If you have questions or would like assistance with your Landlord-tenant matter, feel free to call our office at (516) 858-2620! As always, The Law Firm of VAUGHN & WEBER, PLLC is here to assist you.  Visit us to arrange a FREE consultation. Thanks for stopping by!

WhiteHouse by PageLines

Copyright © 2021 Law Firm of Vaughn, Weber and Prakope, PLLC
All Rights Reserved