Notice of Claim

VWL > Blog > Personal Injury > Notice of Claim

notice of claim page 1Filing Notice of Claim in Personal Injury Lawsuit

A Notice of Claim must be served on any Municipality or Department of a Municipality before an action can be commenced against that Municipality.  It is important to remember that The Uniform Notice of Claim Act took effect on June 15, 2013.   Several rules were amended regarding properly serving a Notice of Claim.

There are a few unique aspects of a personal injury lawsuit against a Municipality.  The Notice of Claim and shortened Statute of Limitations however are the most important to know.  Failure to serve a Notice of Claim or serving a Notice of Claim to the wrong entity can permanently preclude your ability to bring the action.  It is therefore in your best interest to discuss the serving of a proper Notice of Claim with an attorney.

Personal Injury Attorney in Long Island

As always, if you or a family member have been injured due to the fault of a Municipality, call (516) 858-2620 to speak to an experienced personal injury attorney today!


More Articles:

Evaluating a Personal Injury Case

Picking a Jury in a Personal Injury Case