Notice of Claim

On June 12, 2014, in Personal Injury, by John A. Weber IV, ESQ.

notice of claim page 1Filing Notice of Claim in Personal Injury Lawsuit

A Notice of Claim must be served on any Municipality or Department of a Municipality before an action can be commenced against that Municipality.  It is important to remember that The Uniform Notice of Claim Act took effect on June 15, 2013.   Several rules were amended regarding properly serving a Notice of Claim.

There are a few unique aspects of a personal injury lawsuit against a Municipality.  The Notice of Claim and shortened Statute of Limitations however are the most important to know.  Failure to serve a Notice of Claim or serving a Notice of Claim to the wrong entity can permanently preclude your ability to bring the action.  It is therefore in your best interest to discuss the serving of a proper Notice of Claim with an attorney.

Personal Injury Attorney in Long Island

As always, if you or a family member have been injured due to the fault of a Municipality, call (516) 858-2620 to speak to an experienced personal injury attorney today!


More Articles:

Evaluating a Personal Injury Case

Picking a Jury in a Personal Injury Case

    Comments are closed.

    The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. This website is Attorney Advertising. It does not form an attorney-client relationship. We are a debt relief agency and a law firm that helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code – Title 11. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome. Proudly assisting residents of Long Island, Nassau county, Suffolk county, New York City, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island, Manhattan

    Copyright © 2019 Law Firm of Vaughn, Weber and Prakope, PLLC
    All Rights Reserved